Monday 30 April 2012

Eating my words!

Something wonderful happened to me recently whilst living in Wroclaw
(question; can I still write 'whilst?' because I sincerely love that word!)
Anyway I heard about a relatively new English newspaper made in Wroclaw. The Wroclaw International.
 This is not only amazing for knowing the great, cool things that happen here but, of course, I really wanted to have the opportunity to write for them!
I begged in emails, attended a monthly party, and then I was invited to a meeting.
Yes, I was in !


My first piece has been submitted, shockingly I am writing about animal things (as well as anything else I can think of submitting along the way).  I am very grateful for this opportunity.
I have just interviewed a wonderful woman who spends her days rescuing animals and she, and her organisation, will be the focus of my next piece. But until then here is my small article on Vegan ice cream, now selling in the middle of my awesome city!


The natural taste of Italy
The dark skies are lifting from over Wroclaw and people are coming out from hibernation, it is the start of the summer time. Clothes are getting lighter, smiles are getting wider, and the demand for refreshments is rising.  Although the majority of people in Poland, and the world, do not yet follow a ‘meat free’ lifestyle it is safe to say that the masses are now demanding healthier products on the market. Chowing down on a chocolate bar is a temporary satisfaction and many, especially us women, feel guilty about what was an extremely short lived pleasure.  But alas, a genius has been born, Giuseppe Lamardini, the creator of an all natural ice cream.  The Vegans are rubbing their hands together in glee as yet another completely cruelty-free product emerges, defying all skepticism. 
Giuseppe uses, not only, 100% natural ingredients to make his gelato taste unique but seemingly defies the laws of ‘ice cream’ physics by using: carrot, beet, tomato, pumpkin, and even Spirulina.  Spirulina, in some circles, is known as a superfood with it’s richness in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It has even been placed as number one on a list of the five foods that can add years to your life (by the AARP). It seems Lamardini knows what he is doing; rejuvenating a classic.  At the age of 20, Lamardini moved to Italy where he learned how to produce Gelato (Italian for Ice cream). He and his Polish wife’s dream was to create an ice cream that does not exploit animals. He created the “Gelati Giuseppe” and began to sell it from a quaint little shop in Sopot, Poland. 
Luckily for Wroclaw, the considerate people at VEGA have brought the ice cream to the Rynek for 4 zloty a scoop!
VEGA, an establishment set picturesquely on Sukiennice street next to the city hall, has been serving health conscience people for 25 years. Of course, in 1987 Poland, it was a little more difficult to start a business selling salads instead of vodka and sausages but it has survived and every year Rafal Patkowski (Manager of VEGA) has witnessed a consistent rise in the vegetarian ideals of both young and old. Everything served at VEGA is homemade and this ice cream is no exception.
Out of 38 of Giuseppe’s ice creams VEGA provides 8, and the flavors will vary over the course of the summer. In an interview, Patkowski announced boldly that his favorite flavor was grapefruit and I couldn’t help but grimace because grapefruit, in it’s natural form, is incredibly sour and the ice cream is a perfect replica. Luckily for me Patkowski allowed me to sample the other, less sour, flavors such as chocolate, mango, pineapple, and I will say that I may return for Lemon with spirulina more than a few times, it is light, fresh, healthy and perfect for a sunny day walking around the beautiful city of Wroclaw.
Can ice cream be dairy-free and still be delicious? It seems so.

No comments:

Post a Comment