Monday 24 December 2012

How the Queen's speech should sound...

And so Christmas 2012 rolls in on Poland, foggy, damp, bleak and without a trace of snow as the Wroclaw God seems to have mistook yesterday for the 25th and today it has cleared up completely. It is hard realising that Christmas, although still a firm contender of mine as the best time of year, is never going to be quite as exciting as it was before I hit puberty.
Why was it exciting? because of the films, t.v adverts, abundance of food, people spending time with you (never mind the other 364 days of the year), music and of course... the presents! I was a child of consumerism and so is the majority of children that are born into a western life. I don't believe you could make this time of year as good as it was when I knew that I would wake up with more gifts than the sofa could comfortably hold.
I fear that Mine and Colin's choice of not having children puts us in a dangerous position in which one day (hopefully a long time from now) one of us will be spending Christmas time alone. That there will be no one around to care, love or to help us but that is a choice we made because it would be more selfish to have children when we are not 100% committed to having any.

These are the things I spend my Christmas time pondering about over a glass of red, staring at the walls and wondering, really?..what is this all about?
But it isn't rocket science, we are here and one day we wont be and you either spend your life accumulating wealth, things, and shallow relationships or you do your best to better you and the world.

My New Year's resolutions are going to be huge.

I plan to be the happiest, healthiest vegan I can be. I plan to be a poster child for the vegan movement and not to talk about the negative aspect too much...if you want to know about it you can find it out ..Veganism isn't a negative thing, it is empowering, challenging and worthwhile, therefore I will be as positive as I can be. (sadly this new year resolution includes *shudder* the gym)

I plan to be happy for everyone, my past life was, for a long time, churned up in jealousy and bitterness. I do not deserve to live like this, like wise all living beings should all live great lives, we are only around once don't forget!

My blog is going to grow (this will be the hardest to keep up) I plan to read the news each morning on the BBC and write my opinions on it. Too much news today is written so that people scroll through it quickly, getting lost in the muddle of confusing words and jargon. With dictionary at hand as my compass I will navigate my way around BBC online and research the net.

I plan to save for 2 major things;
my wedding that I started planning when I was 9 and was just waiting for the right man to knock on my door ( or pick me up in a bar..either way works) 
and for our home (condo, apartment) together in America. 
This year isn't about spending, holidays or extravagance it is about the future, it is about what we want and where we want to be.

..and so I wish all of you a wonderful and peaceful Christmas, it may not be as thrilling as it once was but it is a great time to reflect and smile. if you are warm, safe and loved you are certainly one of the lucky ones.
As am I.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment